Hi my name is Raksha Boiteau
I’m 11 and I LOVE COOKING!!! I have always loved it. I am a vegetarian, and I am thinking about becoming a chef. At Rio Gozo I am learning how to prepare different kinds of fresh, delicious vegetables grown right on the farm.
You’ll be seeing my post monthly as I experiment with different recipes and post the ones I like the best.
Today we made 3 broccoli dishes: Ina Garten’s Parmesan- Roasted Broccoli, Seared Broccoli and Sweet Onion Salad, and a broccoli gratin with Gouda & Dubliner Cheddar cheese topped with toasted bread crumbs. They are all very easy and require pretty basic ingredients. My favorite was the roasted broccoli; here is the recipe from Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics.
- 4 -5 lbs broccoli
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted (optional)
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Prep Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
- Cut the broccoli florets from the stalks, leaving an inch or two of stalk attached to the florets.
- Cut the larger pieces through the base of the head with a small knife, pulling the florets apart. You should have about 8 cups of florets.
- Place the broccoli florets on a sheet pan large enough to hold them in a single layer.
- Toss the garlic over the broccoli and drizzle with 5 tablespoons of the olive oil. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- Roast at 425*F. for 20 to 25 minutes, until crisp-tender and the tips of some of the florets are browned.
- Remove the broccoli from the oven and immediately toss with the lemon zest, lemon juice, pine nuts(optional), and Parmesan. Serve hot.
Read more: http://www.barefootcontessa.com/recipes.aspx?RecipeID=335&S=0