Maple Roasted Winter Squash with Kale and Blue Cheese
3 cups peeled and cubed squash
5 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp maple syrup
Pinch of Cayenne
Preheat oven to 400
Drizzle oil the cookie sheets
Peel and cube the winter squash (1 inch squares)
De-rib and cut kale into bite size pieces
Put the squash on one cookie sheet, drizzle with maple syrup, sprinkle with salt and a pinch of cayenne. Bake until golden brown, 30-40 minutes
Spread the kale on the other remaining cookie sheet, sprinkle with salt, bake for 10 minutes until roasted but not crunchy
Combine in a bowl and add crumbled blue cheese. Serve warm or cold.
Here are more of our favorite Thanksgiving ideas from CSA members in 2011.
Brussel Sprouts with Bacon & Thyme
- 2 lb. brussels sprouts
- 5 oz. bacon, diced
- 4 shallots, ﬁnely chopped
- 2 tsp. ﬁnely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/3 cups chicken or turkey stock
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 tsp. salt
- 5 oz. bacon, free of nitrates and preservatives
4. Using paper towels, wipe out the pan and place over medium-high heat. Melt the butter with the olive oil. Add the brussels sprouts and salt and stir to coat evenly. Cook until the brussels sprouts begin to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir again, then cook for 3 to 4 minutes more. Stir in 1/4 cup of the stock. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally and adding more stock as needed, until the brussels sprouts are soft, about 15 minutes more. Add the bacon mixture and any remaining stock and stir to incorporate.
5. Transfer to a warmed serving bowl and serve immediately.